• Premium high impact modified acrylic – Very durable – 5 Year Warranty
(same material used around hockey rinks)
• D.O.T. Approved – Exceeds industry and D.O.T. standards
• UV protection – shield will not discolor or haze from the sun or weather
• Rain-X safe
Choosing a Size
• To look over the shield, the ideal height is where the top edge of the shield is level with the tip of your nose. This gives you about 2” to see over the top of the shield when looking straight ahead and with this height the wind will clear the top of your head for a comfortable and quiet ride.
• To look through the shield, the ideal height is where the top edge of the shield is about 2-3″ above your line of sight. This gives you the most comfort and protection, but when it rains and the shield gets dirty it gets harder to see through the shield.
• The shield is measured in the center from the top of the headlight cutout on the windshield up to the top edge
• To help determine which size shield you need, here are a couple ways to test:
– If you have a taller stock shield on your bike, you can place a piece of Blue Painters Masking Tape on your shield with the top edge of the tape at different heights and take a short ride to get settled into your normal riding position to make sure you can see over the tape by about 2″ looking straight ahead down the road.
– If you have a shorter stock shield on your bike, you can tape different size pieces of cardboard on your shield with Blue Painters Masking Tape and take a slow ride to get settled into our normal riding position to check the size.
Test Ride our Shield
• Your shield will come with a protective plastic film applied to both sides of the shield. Make sure to leave the plastic on the shield, mount the shield and take a short test ride, as long as you have good visibility over the shield.
• If you are not completely satisfied with the height or performance of the shield, you may return the shield for a different size or for full credit (less any shipping charges) as long as the shield is like new and the protective plastic film has not been removed.
• Take your time . . . make sure it is right. No worries if you order in the winter months and it takes until Spring to try it out.
The aftermarket windshield I had on my 2006 Heritage was in need of replacement after 7 years. I did quite a bit of research of what was out there and decided on the Freedom Shield based on reviews, your very informative website and that the Air Curve Design just makes sense. I decided on the 15″ Dark Tint for my ride. I appreciated the professional acknowledgements after I placed my online order, complete with shipping information and was amazed at how fast the turnaround was! My shield arrived professionally packed, with a wealth of information on the care/installation of my new Freedom Shield. The fit and finish of the Shield was perfect! And because of the Air Curve Design there is a noticeable difference of less wind turbulence at speed in the “riders pocket.” I am very happy with my decision to go with the Freedom Shield on my sled.
Review By: Don – Boise,ID
I was looking for a replacement shield for my 2009 Harley Heritage Softail Classic that would enable me to see over the shield. With the OEM shield, the top edge was directly in my line of sight, and I was constantly either stretching to see over or slumping to look through the shield. I took measurements on the OEM shield to determine the height I needed and concluded that a 15″ shield (16″ above the headlight) is what I needed. So I began to research different companies. I became interested in recurve shields, as I thought that would help to direct the air a little higher with a lower shield. After reading various reviews on different products, and talking with John, I decided to purchase from Freedom Shields. I ordered the 15″ lightly tinted version. First, my shield was shipped the next day after I placed my order and received promptly. I was eager to install and try the shield. I installed the shield with the plastic film on and went on a ride for a few miles, including freeway at 70-80 mph. My first observation was that I could definitely see over the shield better. Still tall enough to slump down and get behind but low enough to see the road ahead better. I can’t say it was dramatic, but the air flow seemed to be better than the OEM. Clearly, the air flow was directed a little higher and was at the top or just above my head. After the ride, I went ahead and took the film off and reinstalled with Locktite on the screws. So obviously I made the decision to keep the shield right away. I do like the appearance of the shield. The thicker shield and added rigidity give the perception of higher quality and strength. The polished edges look great, and I think going with the light tint was the right call. The shape of the shield (recurve) does give a custom look compared to OEM. I will point out that the shield is actually 1″ narrower than the OEM. It’s about 22″ wide vs. 23″ on the OEM. I was expecting it to be equal to or wider based on the website description. But I understand that’s a function of the height on the 15″. Again, the shield is aesthetically pleasing and functions well. I haven’t taken a very long ride so far, but I have enjoyed the rides I have taken with better visibility over the shield. Overall, I’m satisfied with my experience with Freedom Shields and glad to support a small US company.
Review By: Mark – Conway, AR
We have now gotten back from our 25-day, 4,70+ mile road trip to the West Coast and back on Route-66 on the Heritage using the Freedom Shield. Conclusions based on a ride using a ‘Signature Seat.” (This seat puts the passenger up higher and puts the rider forward a bit than with a stock seat): –Workmanship was excellent –Extra thickness added security and feeling of solid construction. –The shield was an exact fit for the H-D hardware and looks good. –Works well for the rider –Passenger wasn’t sure but thought it provided better protection against buffeting than the stock windshield. –The light tint was godsend in the Mojave Desert. Cut reflections to the rider AND helped everywhere when riding into the sun –The 17” Freedom shield was almost identical in height to the stock shield. –The width on top worked well in the rain.
Review By: Theron – Racine, WI
John The shield came in yesterday and went on with no issues. Looks really good and performs even better. Almost no wind on face and helmet. Amazing difference. Thanks for a quality product.
Review By: Skip – Georgetown, GA